McKay has developed sound expertise over the years to seamlessly tackle the myriad of legal issues in the sports, gaming and entertainment sector. We have advised individual athletes, sports executive, sports franchises, public sports authorities, betting companies, clients in the entertainment sector particularly in film and television.
Our advice relates to brand protection, merchandising and distribution. Through our IP practice, we are able to advise on the restructuring and execution and licensing strategies and agreements to enable them to safeguard brands as a result of sponsorship and endorsements.
In addition, our team of lawyers are well versed with the recent developments in the gaming sector which has seen them advise on licensing procedures, IP registration and enforcement and commercial litigation to bookmakers providers of gaming software and other service providers.
- Advised an online gaming company in Kenya on all legal aspects of operating an online betting business in Kenya including the licence application process, on a software licensing agreement with another company and on the legal aspects of capital injection from international partners into the Company and on the intellectual property aspects involving its business, amongst others.
- Advised a Kenya-registered company, and drafted the necessary reseller agreement for the grant of exclusive supplier rights in Kenya of a licensed gaming software from a Belize-registered company. Also advised the Kenyan company and drafted the software licensing agreements for the purchase of licensed gaming software by several online gaming operators.
- In partnership with a UK-based law firm, advised an international software developer company and gaming operator that currently operates several online social and real money slots in the United Kingdom and other European countries, on all legal and taxation aspects of the Kenyan phase legal regulatory framework on gambling and gaming.
- Advised a Malta-headquartered company on all legal aspects of the establishment of a gaming business in Kenya and in three other African countries.
- In partnership with a UK-based law firm, advised several European companies on gaming and gambling laws in Kenya and in the licensing, permitting and regulatory framework on gambling and gaming in Kenya.
- Advising a Columbian gaming company on its business establishment in Kenya and assisted in compiling and presenting a technical application for a gaming license to the Betting Control and Licensing Board of Kenya.